Yes, you read right. Lactation cookies. To help women produce more breastmilk. While eating cookies!
What more could you ask for?!
This recipe is a full year in the making. After many attempts, taste tests, and adjustments, it's finally here - a lactaton cookie that can easily be made vegan or gluten free! See the recipe for two simple substitutions and get creative with your mix-ins. You deserve it, mama!
Other people can also eat these cookies... just make sure mom has as many as she wants first!
Healthy Coconut Lactation Cookies
This recipe makes 2 dozen small cookies. I'm partial to the vegan version but if you're using butter do go organic for more healthy fats for you and your baby.
3 tablespoons ground flax seed
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter or virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour or gluten free flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brewer's yeast
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened flake coconut or other mix-in
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a cookie sheet (or use a sil-pat).
2. In a small bowl, stir ground flax seed and water together and set aside for about 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter or oil and sugar until well-combined. Stir in vanilla extract and thickened flax/water mixture.
4. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and brewer's yeast to the bowl and mix well.
5. Stir in rolled oats and flake coconut (or other mix-in of your choice - mini chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, or seeds would all be delicious). I found it easiest to mix with my hands at this point but you can also stir with a spoon or spatula.
6. Scoop tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto a cookie sheet and press into desired thinness (they don't spread while baking).
7. Bake for 8-12 mintues or until lightly browned (time will depend on how thick you make your cookies).
8. Enjoy warm out of the oven, over a couple of days, or freeze for a handy dessert.
Secret note: you can totally eat the dough instead of making the cookies - no raw eggs to worry about!