Read on for the recipe.
Sweet potato and black bean burgers
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the sweet potato lengthwise and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until very soft. Once the potato has cooled, remove the skin and roughly chop the center.
2. In a large bowl, mix the rice, black beans, onion, cilantro, spices and salt. I usually use my hands to mix, you could also use a potato masher. Make sure all of the beans have broken apart (it will be sticky).
3. Add sweet potato to the bowl and mix again to combine well.
4. Put the oats a food processor or blender and pulse a few times so they break into small pieces, then add to the burger mixture and mix well.
5. Form into 8 patties about 3 1⁄2 inches wide.
6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Once the oil is warm, add 3-4 patties (make sure you have enough space to flip them) and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Add additional oil to the pan as needed between batches.
7. Serve the burgers over greens and top with avocado slices and your favorite homemade dressing.