I love creating new recipes but with a toddling 9-month-old my time in the kitchen has been pretty limited. That, combined with my inability to eat a bunch of (organic and fair trade) bananas before they get brown spots, inspired this recipe. It comes together fast - like 30-minute nap fast - and is only slightly indulgent. It's definitely my new favorite afternoon snack. Plus, its vegan and with a simple swap of a gluten free flour blend for the whole wheat can be enjoyed by my GF friends, too!
1. In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seed and water and set aside for about 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and maple syrup.
4. Add in the mashed bananas, vanilla, and flax/water mixture and stir well.
5. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into the bowl and fold in until just combined.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Try not to eat all at once :)