Healthy Coconut Lactation Cookies
This recipe makes 2 dozen small cookies. I'm partial to the vegan version but if you're using butter do go organic for more healthy fats for you and your baby.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a cookie sheet (or use a sil-pat).
2. In a small bowl, stir ground flax seed and water together and set aside for about 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter or oil and sugar until well-combined. Stir in vanilla extract and thickened flax/water mixture.
4. Add flour, baking powder, salt, and brewer's yeast to the bowl and mix well.
5. Stir in rolled oats and flake coconut (or other mix-in of your choice - mini chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, or seeds would all be delicious). I found it easiest to mix with my hands at this point but you can also stir with a spoon or spatula.
6. Scoop tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto a cookie sheet and press into desired thinness (they don't spread while baking).
7. Bake for 8-12 mintues or until lightly browned (time will depend on how thick you make your cookies).
8. Enjoy warm out of the oven, over a couple of days, or freeze for a handy dessert.
Secret note: you can totally eat the dough instead of making the cookies - no raw eggs to worry about!